Like most families these days, we are trying to pinch pennies wherever we can. Having one parent stay at home with the kids instead of earning an income has many advantages, but having extra money lying around isn't one of them. So we watch our spending, I cut coupons, wait for sales, etc. The Husband calls it our "Austerity Plan." Anyway....I recently cleaned out the kids' closet, which was absolutely bursting at the seams. I had a big bag of things to save, a bag for Goodwill, and a bag to take to our local children's consignment shop. I love the consignment shop, it's one of those where you drop off your stuff and they pay you cash on the spot. No waiting for the items to sell and no hassle. Also, this store is in a more affluent part of town, so I can usually find boutique clothes at super nice prices. Anyway, this morning I took a big box over there and had absolutely no intention of buying anything, I wasn't even going to browse. But the store had racks and racks of fall and winter clothes, which weren't there the last time I shopped. So, of course, I browsed... and picked up...and tried on...and ended up spending $75.00. Oh I know that sounds bad, but it wasn't. Listen to what I bought with a measly $75.00.
- black patent leather Mary Janes from Stride Rite $2.75- whoo hoo!
- a smocked Christmas outfit - $7.50!
- a Christmasy dress - $8.50!
- 2 winter dresses - $14.50
- 3 Oxford shirts (one which will match Baby Girls hand-smocked Christmas dress - not bought at the consignment store) - $17.50
- 2 huge floor puzzles that Little Man has been eyeing, I'm saving those for Christmas presents - $13.00
- Sunglasses for Baby Girl - $4.00 - not so cheap, gently used, or on sale, but she needed them :)
All of it name brand, which I care nothing about, but I like knowing the clothes will hold up all winter, and in excellent condition! With tax that adds up to about $75.00 - most definitely a bargain! Now to the "I had trouble, lots of trouble" part. Well...I wasn't supposed to spend any money, any. We just had Little Man's birthday and we're going on vacation soon, so any shopping whatsoever was a no-no. Actually, I went to the consignment store thinking I'd earn a little pin money for the week. Oh well, maybe we can keep this between you, me, and the blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment