Today was one of those hodge podge days, full of errands and a to-do list a mile long. It started out by me washing baseboards. Yep, it was at the top of my to-do list. Not my "I want to do" list, but my "must do" list. So I spent the better part of the morning, and part of the afternoon, washing the baseboards, the trim to the doors and windows, the doors themselves, and the walls in the high traffic areas (pretty much all our walls). Before kids, this was something that was done on a somewhat regular basis, every other month or so, and since there were no messy kids around, it was pretty easy. Since kids, well, um, it's been awhile. Funny, that when you need to clean more than ever, thanks to a toddler who is somehow able to smear food and put greasy hand prints everywhere, you have less time to actually do so. But now it's done and the house looks so much better. It had reached the point where it still looked and felt dirty even after I vacuumed, mopped, and dusted, but now, thankfully, it's CLEAN!
Also on the list today was cleaning the blinds. I HATE to clean blinds, it's so tedious. Today I kind of cheated, but it worked, because they look good. I sprayed the heck out of them with Pledge, wiped them down, flipped them over and did the other side. I even decided to hit the blinds in the master bedroom, which are covered by curtains, so they usually get skipped. I thought since they were covered up they wouldn't be dusty. Oh my, how wrong was I. I can't believe The Husband and I weren't perpetually sick from the thick layer of dust on them. And the curtains. I'll be honest, in the three years that they've been hanging I never, ever thought about cleaning them. I didn't grow up in a house where a lot of cleaning took place (sorry mom), so sometimes I just don't think to do some of the deep cleaning/spring cleaning stuff. The top of the curtains had a good 1/2 inch of dust on them, it was so gross. I thought I'd just wash them, but they are silk, and the tag on them said dry clean only. Well, forget that, I thought. I threw them in the dryer with a wet washcloth and a dryer sheet, turned it on air dry and let them tumble for a bit. They came out looking and smelling great, and thankfully still the right length.
Then it was off to run errands with Baby Girl. I had worked up a big thirst and we were out of diet coke. Water and iced tea just wasn't cuttin' it, I needed that carbonation to hit the back of my throat. We were also out of ice cream for The Husband, which is a big no-no in my house. The Husband eats ice cream every day, and sometimes gets a little cranky if he runs out. Yep a trip to the store was a must.
About that time Little Man came home from an outing with Grandma, so my little OCD cleaning spree had to stop. Poor thing was in a rare mood. He didn't get a nap during the day, Grandma tried but something would always distract him. After a few time outs and temper tantrums he ended up getting put to bed at 7:00, about and hour and a half earlier than usual. Still, he passed out almost immediately, sweet baby.
Tomorrow he goes to school, I think I'll tackle the windows!
{ I can't believe I just wrote a boring post about cleaning, I think I may need some excitment in my life ;) }
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment