Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Well, I've given the cake decorating, or more specifically, the fondant, another try! Despite the fact that I soon won't be able to wear any of my clothes for the "tasting," I'm having so much fun! Here's my second attempt at fondant:






Turned out cute! It's a small cake because I had one 9 in round in the freezer, left over from trying to motivate Little Man during potty training. So I cut two circles in it, stacked them, and then decorated. This time I bought a commercial fondant, I wanted to try one out. A lot of people who take cake decorating very seriously (very, very, seriously it would seem) say they shudder at the thought of using a commercial fondant, but this novice decorator liked it. I loved the texture, it was much smoother than the one I made, which was way too greasy and pliable. It tasted great, too, without adding any flavoring. The only drawback is it's expensive. To cover a bigger cake would cost at least $15.00, and for that much I think I'll try a homemade recipe that doesn't call for as much shortening.

I hope Baby Girl loves her birthday cake, or realistically will love looking at pictures of it when she's older! I sure am loving trying to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment