Monday, April 4, 2011
24 Hours of Insanity
Wow, the past 24 hours have been intense. Mama could seriously use a Xanax. Seriously. Here's why - Last night Baby Girl went to the ER in an ambulance (a separate post to follow), and after we got home we had about three hours sleep, courtesy of several breathing treatments. I'm not knocking them, they probably saved Baby Girl's life, she was just a bundle of energy at midnight and beyond! We had a follow-up appointment with her regular pediatrician this morning, and on the way there she started wheezing again. It scared me to death, it sounded just like she did before her attack came full on last night. The receptionists and nurse rushed us back to the exam room and we saw a doctor about five minutes after we walked in the door. Her oxygen fluctuated between 92-97, which the doc thought was no big deal. I may be looking for a new pediatrician, I have loved him as a doctor so far, but his laid back attitude about Baby Girl's oxygen level didn't sit well with me. He reiterated what the ER docs said, only he said giving her a hit off the inhaler every 4-6 hours was unnecessary, and to only give it to her if the skin between her ribs started to pull in during inhalation. Again, I'm not doctor but I did grow up around asthma and that seems like that's waiting a little too long, especially for a two year old. I want to use the medicine to prevent her from getting to that point. Anyway, after the somewhat alarming doctor's appointment, we went home. .... and drove through the worst storm. It was no Hurricane Elvis, but it was very similar. Very scary to drive through, but by the time I realized we were in a bad storm we were just about five minutes from home. We got home and the sirens were going off, I couldn't tell that in the car because of the loud rain and marble-sized hailstones rapping on the roof, and the cable, internet, and phone were all out. I had no idea if the tornado warning was for my area of the county or not. Little Man was home with Grandma, he was terrified and still in his underwear. I do not handle bad storms and tornadoes well, I turn into a puddle of jello. However, I had to keep it together and be a responsible parent, so I scrambled for some clothes for Little Man while calling The Husband at work to see if I can get a weather report. I needed to know if I should empty out the tornado closet (no small task, it's our toy closet and packed solid), and thankfully, The Husband told us the storm had already gone through our part of town, although it still looked scary outside. We actually drove through the worst of it. Trees swaying, stop lights doing nearly 360s, looking out my car window reminded me of watching hurricane footage on the tv. We did have some minor damage, and I stress minor. A sizable limb fell on our fence and the side of the house, knocking loose a several boards and damaging two window screen frames. Could have been much worse. Little Man enjoyed the clean up with his daddy and our neighbor, Mr. Jimmy, who broke out the chain saw. Well, I say that's too much excitement for one day. Waaay too many adrenaline rushes for me to handle with grace. Now who has some xanax? (just kidding)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment