Thursday, March 31, 2011
New Mom Registry Woes
I love looking at the gift registries of new moms. Sometimes they are absolutely freaking hilarious! Don't worry, I'm not passing judgement, I was a new mom once, too. I'm sure if the veteran, seasoned mom that I am now was able to travel back in time and take a peek at my old registry (as if, if I could time travel I wouldn't waste it to do something so lame, maybe to be that new mom again, but reviewing my registry -no) I would probably get a few laughs at myself as well. I looked up the registry of a friend today, she's expecting her first baby this summer. Here are a few standouts- 40 pairs of socks, 32 of them white, all sized 0-6 months!! Holy Batman, you will lose a few socks, but not nearly that many! An 8-pack of white is all you need, if you're adventurous you can add an 8-pack of colored socks, too. 5 packs of 152 sized-1 diapers! I will admit, this is much better than registering for umpteen newborn diapers, which always makes me cringe. My firstborn skipped the newborn size all together, and was out of size 1 at about a month and a half. At least diapers are easy to exchange for another size. A complete coordinating layette, you know, onesies, pants, shorts, little shirts, mittens, hats, and, yes, more socks (I didn't count these socks in the original 40 pair), that comes in a boxed set. Plus, four packs of bodysuits and a handful of outfits. All cute. Cute, cute, cute, but all sized 9 months and smaller. The baby doesn't really need all that much to wear. Really. A few layette items will do, as well as a few "going out" things. I know my kids often wore the same few outfits over and again, and they had a lot of brand new, with tags items hanging in the closet. This is definitely a case of less is more. Also, after having my showers for my first child, I realized that it was pointless to register for clothes. People love to buy baby clothes, you will get them by the bucketfulls, and it won't be what you registered for anyway. Often a good thing, as my kids received some cute and unexpected clothes! 8 hooded towels. Yes, eight. This one really had me rolling. Eight! What are you going to do with all of them? When you have a newborn or an infant, heck, even a toddler or preschooler, you do laundry EVERY DAY. When you're super busy you put it off to every other day, but still, you're always doing laundry. So two hooded towels should be just fine. :) Again, I'm not passing judgement, although I realize to some this may sound like a real b*tchy post. It's not!! I would never, never say anything to a friend in real life, or even write this if there were any way anyone could figure out who I'm referring to. I just got a laugh and thought I would share. It's just the perspective of a mom whose been there a time or two. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment