Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mischievous Imp

My Baby Girl is mischievous, as mischievous as they come. And I love it. She is just what I thought having a daughter would be, only better.

I remember the day I found out I was having a daughter. My neighbor is an ultrasound tech, and that day she called from work and said if I wanted to come to the office she could squeeze me in. So I packed up Little Man and away we went. The Husband didn't even know, and I was hoping to surprise him with the news.

I remember it was June 17th. I was only 17 weeks pregnant, and not even really showing, so I wasn't even sure we would be able to tell the gender. But wrong I was, it was a girl, and my neighbor was 99% positive that she was right. She said it was safe to go out and by pink!

Let me tell you, at hearing those words, "It's a girl!" I turned into a ball of jello. I was terrified.

"A girl? What do I do with a girl?" I thought. "I know about boys, but a girl?" I thought of certain little girls I knew, of the sassiness, the smart mouths. I thought of teenage girls I knew, and how their parents were having a hard time with them. "O my gosh," I thought, "what am I in for?"

It took a few days, but slowly I came around. I was excited! I was having a baby girl! Little Man would have a baby sister, which is what we immediately started calling her, a name that to this day has stuck. ( I had a great aunt whom everyone called Sister, and now I know how how that name came to be!)

As my pregnancy progressed, I imagined what my baby would be like. Sweet for sure. A bit sassy. A bit bossy. Sure of herself. Cute as can be. Able to handle herself, her brother would teach her that. Impish, mischievous, fun-loving.

All these things have come true. She is just like I imagined, eerily so. The other day she wanted to play with one of Little Man's toys. He didn't want her to have it, so he stepped in front of her and yelled "NO!" So Baby Girl got mad, ran up to him and hit him on the arm! Then she backed down, stuck out her bottom lip, and cried. It was the cutest thing I have ever seen! Even though I don't want to encourage my children to hit, I thought to myself, "Way to go, Baby Girl!" Your brother shouldn't have yelled at you, but you stood up for yourself." I don't really think we'll have to worry about Baby Girl being pushed around by her peers. ;)

I think sometimes she even surprises herself. This morning she was nursing (she still nurses when she wakes up and again just before bed), and the side she was nursing on was, well... empty. So I pulled my shirt back down and was getting the other side ready. Well, she became mad that I put her "lovey" away, so she grabbed her paci and threw it across the room! Then, when she realized what she had done, she rounded her lips, and said a breathless, "Ooohh." It was just precious, The Husband and I couldn't help but laugh.

Sweet lovable, precious, mischievous, Baby Girl, we love you so!

No comments:

Post a Comment