Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Husband thinks I'm crazy

And he may be right...

I have my quirks, I admit. I have a touch of OCD, and I don't say that lightly, it's true. I was reading a post by a blogger who was documenting the construction process of her new home, and she wrote about how a few things were really bugging her, in an OCD kind of way. I nearly choked on my coffee when I read the statement, "I like 90 degree angles." I thought, "Girl, I know what you mean!" There are a few things in my house, which we built, that drive me nuts when I think about them. Like my blogger friend, they, too, have to do with angles. To use her words about misaligned angles,

"They make me ache."

What an accurate description! I had never articulated it that way, but that's exactly how it feels. In my house, I have problems with our fireplace as well as with our pantry. The trim work on the fireplace is most definitely NOT at a right angle. The decorative fluted posts that come down on each side - crooked. I don't think anyone else has ever noticed. I sure did. Our fireplace is the focal point of the one great big room we have downstairs, and it's crooked. Not a lot, but enough that every time I notice it, which is every few days, is does make me ache a little inside.

Seriously.

Our pantry, too, is crooked. It's built out a bit, one side of the pantry boxes out the fridge and the other is a little wall that sticks out about three feet. This one seriously gives me the heebie geebies when I notice it. I mean I know there's a tool out there whose sole purpose is to make sure you are building at a right angle! Use it!

Now on to the other reason my husband thinks I crazy. I have fears. I think they stem from the same OCD-thing, but they are a bit different. For a long time, I kept most of these fears under a lid. Until I had children, that is. Nothing like motherhood to bring OCD out into overdrive! Ok, now onto the latest reason why The Husband thinks I'm crazy. Little Man and Baby Girl share a room, and it's upstairs. It's a good size room, but it has to hold a twin bed, a crib, a dresser, a bookcase, a glider, and an ottoman. Oh yeah, and toys. So, there aren't a lot of options for ways to arrange the room. So in order to make the room inviting and functional, we ended up pushing Little Man's bed against an outside wall - a wall with two windows. The head of his bed was against one of the windows. Not ideal, but our windows have great sturdy locks that his little hands can't open, so I didn't worry, and for his comfort we put pillows against the window, so it seemed to be fine...

Until one day I thought of earthquakes. I thought, "what if we have an earthquake, the window breaks, and due to the shaking Little Man rolls right off the bed, out the window, and falls onto the concrete below?!" A valid concern, I thought, I mean we do live in a seismic zone. True we haven't had a major earthquake in over a hundred years or so, but they always say around here to be ready for "the big one", just in case. So I voice my concerns to The Husband, who first looks at me as if I'd literally just dropped all my marbles on the floor and was drooling on them. He doesn't say a thing. A few days later I voice my concerns again, I just want him to say, "Yeah, that could happen, but it won't. Don't worry about it." Snort, yeah right. He pretty much tells me he loves me, but I must be crazy if I'm worried about that. End of conversation. I can see we're going to get nowhere with this. So a few months go by and I can't let my fears go (OCD!). So today, I did something about it.

I rearranged the kids' room.

There was only one other way to do it and keep all the necessary furniture in the room. So I did it. It's functional and safe...not as cute as it used to be, but I love it anyway. It just feels right, if only because I won't think about earthquakes as I'm tucking Little Man in at night anymore. One less thing to worry about, right!

I can't wait to see what The Husband will say about this when he gets home.

No comments:

Post a Comment