Little Man watches a lot of Noggin, and they have this song that one of the Noggin characters sings,
"We're goin' on a trip, we're goin' on a trip. duhdudhdudh.......Are we there yet, are we there yet? My excitement's getting stronger. Are we there yet, are we there yet? I really can't wait much longer! We're goin' on a trip, we're goin' on a trip!" The past two years we've sung that song to ourselves in the car, and, no, we still don't know all the words!
The beach is the most wonderful, beautiful place on Earth.
Vacation with two children is a lot harder than vacation with one child.
The Husband works - a lot - and comes home around dinner, which is right before bedtime for the kids...so he's not used to being around the kids so much. I'm having a great time watching The Husband, it's like he's in childcare boot camp. We're laughing a lot!
On our third day of vacation, The Husband went to change Baby Girl's diaper. After a minute he came back and said, "where are the diapers?" Um, ok, the diapers have been in the same place for the last three days... (on day seven he did the same thing - WTHeck! - is someone shirking diaper duty?)
Little Man is having the time of his life with his cousins, whom he hasn't seen since he was 19 months old. He's picking up all sorts of boyish behaviors - hitting, kicking, rough housing, doesn't sound great but it's been fun! (Saying he's having the time of his life doesn't even come close to describing it, he is loving every minute of this! His little personality is really sparkling right now, he's laughing, joking, being mischievous - he couldn't be happier!)
You can spend an entire afternoon at Build-A-Bear and the kids will stay occupied the whole time.
Little Man has regressed a bit with his potty training, which I expected. What I didn't expect was that he would pick a spot in the condo and "use the bathroom" there repeatedly, kind of like a dog would do. Later on during the week he gave up using the potty all together, and, after three accidents in as many hours, we switched back to pull-ups. Oh well, guess Little Man decided he was on vacation, too, and he didn't want to work (i.e. potty train)!
On day five we decided to book an extra day!! It's beautiful here, sunny, hot, breezy, warm water...heaven.
Day six and Little Man, Baby Girl, and I were getting ready for the beach (The Husband, his brother, and the older cousins went on a half day fishing trip). Anyway, Little Man decided he was afraid of "sunscream" and threw a holy living fit while I was trying to apply it. Finally I made him lay down to calm down, within two minutes he was sound asleep. Then Baby Girl fell asleep...sigh, not making it to the beach this morning.
Laundry, dishes, diapers, temper tantrums...is a mom ever really on vacation?
The Husband and I had our fifth wedding anniversary while we were down here. We went to a very nice restaurant with huge windows overlooking a marina, it was beautiful, dinner was delicious, and the company was the best! It had been a long time since The Husband and I had gone out together, it was a much-needed date!
Little Man started trying to kick in the pool, last year he was afraid and would only stay in the kiddie pool. Baby Girl, however, loved the water, and would stay in all day if we let her!The last night my sister, another friend, and I went out to eat - no kids and no husbands - the perfect way to end a trip!
I hate packing up - hate it! I don't mind the clothes and toiletries, but DREAD the patio and kitchen packing. Somehow, this year, I did about 90% of the patio, kitchen, and clothes. How did this happen?!
The Husband told me about a conversation between him and Little Man when they were in the ocean (Little Man was very afraid of the ocean, and would scream and cry if either of his parents went in the water - he was afraid for us, sweet thing - anyway, on the last day he finally went in, and loved it!): While playing in the water with his daddy, Little Man goes, "Daddy, where's the drain?"
Most of the way home Little Man kept saying, "Are we going to the beach? I want to go to the beach!" I approve, Little Man, you have good taste in vacations! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment