We signed LM up for swimming lessons this summer. His first week was during the very first week of summer vacation, and he did so well! Before the lessons, he would sit on the pool steps, and that was about it. If his daddy or I tried to get him into the water he would almost have a panic attack, even though he wanted to be in the water so much. So during the first week of lessons he learned how to jump off the side of the pool all by himself, go underwater, safely reach for a toy in the pool, float in his back with assistance, and swim a few feet with his head underwater. We've had lots of opportunities for swimming since then and he's enjoyed the practice.
During this second week, his teacher, Ms. Holly said she just expands on the skills they already learned. For example, now they jump into the deep end and swim all the way to the shallow end. I can't wait to see LM do this!
LM is a little bit shy and reserved (I wonder where in the world he got that from?), and he likes me to stay at the lessons while he's there. Parents are persona non grata, however, we even have to drop the kids off at the curb and wait in the car when it's time to pick them up. Every day, LM asks me the same thing, "Will you stay parked in the car on the street while I'm at swimming?" Every day I say, "Yes," even though I have no intention of doing such a thing. His lesson lasts an hour and it's only 10 minutes from home, so I either run an errand or two or even go home (as I am now). He's caught on to my tricks a few times after he gets back in the car and sees a Starbucks cup or a few grocery bags. He's never happy about it. So today as I was dropping him off he said, "Mommy, just wait on the street, don't go for a walk or go to a store or anything. Just stay in the car. You can even turn on the radio if you want." LOL!! So sweet and so innocent. I love my LM, one day when he's a parent he'll understand and forgive my little white lie.
Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment