Little Man is four - FOUR! As I sit here and type I wonder where the years have gone? It literally seems like yesterday that I was big and pregnant, miserable in the July heat, just waiting for those first telltale signs of labor that would let me know I was about to become a mother. Wow. I just might cry.
Our little guy's birthday seemed to start on Thursday, when we received his information packet from his preschool in the mail. It contained a lot of this and that, but what I really seemed to fixate on was the carpool tag. Our packet contained a bright sheet of official looking laminated paper with our last name on it. For some reason I really felt that piece of paper. A car pool tag. I was about to be one of "those" moms, sitting in a carpool line, passing the time by reading a book, or talking on the phone, and with a big sticker sitting in my windshield. Seeing that made me feel old on an entirely new level. Not in a bad way, not at all, just in a new way.
Then on Friday we took the kids to their PDO and never let on to Little Man that there would be a surprise. Just before lunch, The Husband arrived to pick Little Man up, early! Little Man was so excited! Unfortunately, it was a piece of bad luck that Baby Girl's class happened to be in the hall, so Baby Girl caught sight of her Daddy. Baby Girl did not get to leave early, and I've been told it was not a pretty sight. Poor thing. Anyway, as if getting to leave early with Daddy wasn't great enough, Daddy drove to the movie theatre, where I was waiting with tickets to Little Man's first movie! We saw Despicable Me, and he absolutely loved it. He sat in a seat in between us, and on our laps some, he was so cute. I wish I could have taken a picture, but I'm sure the other patrons wouldn't have appreciated my blinding flash going off in the middle of the movie. He sat in his seat so intently, with a bag of skittles in one cup holder, a bag of popcorn in his lap, and a drink in the other cup holder. In other words, he was set. At one point Daddy left to go to the restroom, and when he came back, Little Man said (loudly), "Daddy, you missed a lot of parts." Later on he sat in my lap for a bit, with he legs resting on my legs, his head laying on my chest, all snuggly, and every on in a while he would reach back and hand me one of his cherished skittles. He really is such a thoughtful boy, it warms my heart. After the movie we went home, had an early dinner, then ate cake and opened presents. It was a good day!
The next big adventure of his birthday weekend was his party. For months preceding his big day, Little Man said he wanted a "digger dirt" party. Then, as we got closer and closer to his birthday, he said he wanted a firetruck party, then a Thomas the Train party, then a tractor party. Each day he wanted something new, there were just too many great choices! Finally, at the very last minute (invitations ended up getting mailed a week late so he could decide for sure), he decided on a tractor party. I found the cutest little invitations and cupcake toppers, as well as a tractor shirt with Little Man's name and the number "4" on it, and a tractor barrette for Baby Girl. All very cute, I'm so thankful for etsy! I made Little Man's cake, a round cake with green fondant, a dirt road made with crumbled graham crackers, hay bales made from rice krispies, and a fence, lake, and grass made from the best tasting butter cream. Oh yeah, I can't forget about the tractor, which sat on the dirt road. At the last minute Little Man asked if he could also have Thomas on his cake (yikes!), so we rigged up a little Thomas train on a circular track that went around the base of the cake. All of our family and many little friends were there. This year was a first for us, having a big friend party. Baby Girl and Little Man attend a Music for Aardvarks class, and their teacher came to the party and held a special birthday class. I am so glad he did that for us, the kids, even the bigger kids, had so much fun. Their teacher had a big parachute, a bubble machine, shakers, drums, you name it. We danced to "Groove is in the Heart!" Little Man and the rest of the kids, jumped, danced, twirled, and laughed for an hour straight. F-U-N!
Well, that concludes Little Man's fourth birthday, it's going to be hard to top next year! ;) I can't believe it's over, that the little baby who made me a mommy is already four. He is such a blessing, he has such a warm heart and a happy spirit. I am so glad to be his mom.
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment